Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Melissa's Goodbye

From our Librarian/Archivist, Melissa Tacke: 

The Grems-Doolittle Library Blog will be quiet for a time, as I leave my position at the end of this month. The Schenectady County Historical Society will be welcoming a new Librarian/Archivist this spring.

I have thoroughly enjoyed highlighting aspects of the Grems-Doolittle Library's collections and Schenectady County's history on this blog. The stories I have uncovered in my time here are truly fascinating, and it has been a pleasure to share them.

I have greatly enjoyed my time at the Schenectady County Historical Society. My favorite aspects of my position as Librarian/Archivist have been assisting researchers and promoting the Library's collections. There is nothing more satisfying than hearing a researcher gasp at a discovery he or she has made! In putting finding aids and research guides on our website, we have been able to make our collections visible to the wider world. Speaking with community groups, school groups, and program audiences at SCHS to raise awareness about our collections and services has also been a pleasure.

In the time that I have been Librarian/Archivist, we have seen library visitation grow, and the number of research questions we receive has greatly increased. We have also watched our space transform with the installation of mobile compact shelving in our archives storage area and the restructuring of shelving in our reading room. The Library is a dynamic place that continues to grow and change.

I am also privileged to have worked with a crew of dedicated, motivated, and kind volunteers. The Library's 17 volunteers provide over 3,000 hours of work to the Library each year. Volunteers do the bulk of the indexing and data entry work that makes it possible to bring more information about our collections to the public. I extend my sincere thanks to all Library volunteers, past and present, who have helped to bring the Library to where it is today.


1 comment:

  1. Melissa,

    Reading your fair well post truly got me thinking about the positive effects technology has had on the library/archival world. Due to the implementing of the internet (social media, websites, etc...) the field has been able to develop outreach programs to help promote the historical societies collections, and all they obtain for the use of incoming researchers, students, etc... Technology has also been able to allow librarians/archivists to develop new methods of preservation and organization tactics. I am sure you are aware of the move towards a more digital approach for collections, I can't help bring up the new missions that are being asked for future professionals in our field of work, and I for one am beyond excited to be part of this new task to make access to collections accessible for future researchers.

    As a future applicant for the librarian/archivist position, I can only hope to pick up where you left off, and help the historical society continue to flourish heading into the future. Thank you for all that you accomplished during your time. Good luck to you in the near future!

    -Dan Stewart

    ReplyDelete